What to Do First after an Injury on the Job

    If you work in and around navigable waterways, docks, ports, and harbors and you’re injured on the job, you should take these steps immediately:

    • Report your injury to your employer.
    • Get the medical care you need.
    • File a written report with your employer within 30 days.
    • Choose a doctor for ongoing treatment.
    • Talk to a workers’ compensation lawyer.

    You need to make the right moves because your job may qualify you for benefits under the Longshore & Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act.

    This special federal law for injured workers provides valuable support that can help you heal from your accident and injury and move beyond this disruption to your life.

    You should talk to a lawyer because experienced attorneys, such as those at Workers’ Compensation, LLC, know this law and how to move your claim through the process so you get everything you’re entitled to receive. You pay no fee for a lawyer in claims filed in accordance with the Longshore & Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act.

    If you live in Metairie, New Orleans, Hammond, the Northshore, Baton Rouge, Houma, Lafayette, Alexandria, Shreveport, Monroe, or anywhere else in Louisiana, talk to us.

    Workers’ Comp Is What We Do.

    Contact Us Today! »

    Do I Qualify for Longshore & Harbor Workers’ Comp Benefits?

    You may be able to secure longshore & harbor workers’ comp if you’re hurt at work in a job like these:

    • Longshore workers
    • Shipbuilders
    • Shipbreakers
    • Ship maintenance and repair
    • Harbor construction
    • Offshore platform workers

    Anyone working around piers, docks, wharves, and port terminals may be covered.

    Longshore workers’ comp generally treats your job injury more favorably than state-based workers’ comp. The process of getting this financial assistance isn’t always easy, though.

    The program is run by the U.S. Department of Labor. You’ll be assigned a claims examiner to review your case. You may need to argue for benefits during an informal conference with the Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs (OWCP) and/or during a formal hearing before the Office of Administrative Law Judges (OALJ).

    If you’re wondering whether you qualify and how to handle the process once you start, you can get attorneys from Workers’ Compensation, LLC, to look at your case and let you know where you stand, free of charge.

    Get My Free Evaluation!

    What Do I Get with Longshore & Harbor Workers’ Comp?

    Benefits under maritime injury workers’ compensation include:

    • Payment for your lost wages when you can’t work (at two-thirds of your previous pay)
    • Medical treatment to recover from your injury
    • Vocational rehabilitation to transition back to work

    As a maritime worker, you could get a higher level of benefits than a worker injured under state workers’ comp.

    Typical workers’ comp claims have limits that don’t apply under longshore & harbor workers’ comp.

    But, in both cases, workers’ comp insurance companies can put up barriers to keep you from getting the full value of the benefits you’re owed.

    They may deny or delay your payments. They may try to get a statement from you that damages your claim. They may seek outside opinions about whether your injury qualifies you for benefits.

    Don’t leave anything to chance when it comes to protecting your rights and financial future.

    Let the lawyers at Workers’ Compensation, LLC, make sure you and your family are taken care of after a work injury sidelines you.

    Call Us Today! »

    I Want My Free Consultation

      Serving Workers
      Everywhere in Louisiana

      CALL US »